What do I need to start work in the Rail Industry??

  1. You will need a White card, also known as Construction Induction Card.
  2. Medical assessment must be relevant to the type of work you will be performing in the rail sector. There are three categories of medical assessments: for General Labouring or construction work you will require Category 3, if you are operating Plant in the rail or wanting to become a Track Protection Officer you will require Category 1 medical. The medical assessment can only be conducted by an authorised health professionals, check the link for approved Health professionals:
  3. When you complete this training you will acquire the National  Unit of Competency: – also called SARC or RISI training.
  4. TLIF0020 Safely access the rail corridor is a national unit of competency developed to meet the applicable rail safety requirements including acts and regulations from the applicable
    state or territory rules in accordance with Transport and Logistics Industry TLI10 within the national compliance codes and/or guidelines.
  5. Urban Rail Safety is licensed by Transport for NSW to deliver this Rail Safety induction and
    training package for persons required to work in the Transport for NSW Infrastructure, (Sydney Trains, NSW Trains and Sydney Metro)

What is a Rail Industry Worker (RIW) card?

An RIW Card is an identification card with your photo ID and a unique number used by the rail industry to record the training that you have completed in the rail industry. The RIW card information is stored online and can be accessed by Rail operators and Protection Officers for verification of roles.

How do I obtain a RIW card?

The RIW Program only issues cards to companies and contractors who hold an ABN. Your employer can order your RIW card on your behalf or yourself if you are using your ABN will need to upload your information on to the RIW portal, You can find out more by visiting